Skip to main content

Where I've been Part 3

Hope you are enjoying this day before Thanksgiving!   Don't have much time, so it's a good time to post the third installment from my...well...I don't know what it is..kind of a life story...but with off shoots into my thoughts on various subjects that come up.

I hope you enjoy your holiday, and today's post!


My second stretch under the orange roof lasted for 6 years.  Throughout that time, along with gaining knowledge and experience in the industry, I got divorced, met my current husband, and gained and lost the same twenty pounds about three times.  In the summer of 1997, I realized I had to make a change.  New, modern restaurants were popping up everywhere and the regulars who came in every day or a couple times a week were not enough to sustain the business.  Ownership changed and they completely remodeled the building, ending the approximately 30-year tradition of the World of 28 Flavors in Chambersburg, PA.  My then fiancé encouraged me to look for a management position, which I did.  He had a book called Do What You Are[1].  I didn’t read the whole book, but I did the activities that led me to the ridiculous conclusion that the perfect job for me was teacher. It didn’t occur to me that I had been a teacher at several different jobs, but because it was ‘training’, I didn’t think of it as teaching. I decided the book was wrong and started scanning the want ads for a job.

      After a positive three-hour interview with the Director of Human resources, (I will call him Pete) and a disappointing 1-hour interview with a District Manager, I was hired as an entry level Assistant Manager for the quick service franchisee.  One note about interviewing: the reason the interview was disappointing was that after less than an hour, the DM got a phone call and cut the interview short.  He did call later to apologize, but at the time, it made me feel like the interview was not very important to him. Fast food was very different from full serve, but I was happy for the opportunity and excited about gaining the new experience. 

      After my initial 6-week training period, the opportunity arose to transfer to a new location that was under construction.  I jumped at the opportunity.  As one of the new managers, I worked alongside an experienced General Manager to help train the cashiers who they hired for the new restaurant.  As I sat in the unfinished dining room listening to the Training Manager (We will refer to him as Robert) explain policies and procedures to the group, the light came on.  I had been waiting for this moment.  This was the moment that I made that conscious decision!  “I want to do that!” I said to myself mentally pointing to the man leading the orientation. “I want to be a trainer!”  Yes, as I said, I had conducted training at two different jobs, but it was so informal.  Now I knew this was for me – what do you know; the book was right after all!

      Several things fell into place for me at that point.  I was in the right place at the right time.  When I said this to my dad he said, “And you were the right person.”  He was always supportive and encouraging.

·       The company I was working for was heading into a big growth spurt

·       I had a very supportive Fiancé who encouraged me to progress in my career

·       Robert and Pete were each spending a lot of time at the new store so I got to know them both and worked with them a great deal

      Since the company was growing, they recreated a position that they had done away with years before. This position was Assistant Training Manager. They sent out an internal memo letting current employees know the training position was opening up and anyone could apply for the job.  The memo wasn't posted in the restaurant I was working in. The reason for this was that the General Manager for whom I was working wanted the job. She believed that she should get it and she didn’t want anyone else to know about it. 

      Pete spoke to me at one point about goal setting. He told me that I should set some long and short-term goals for myself.  One day he came to see me at work to discuss my goal setting. As he read my notes, he asked why my goal for joining the training department was so far out – 5 years.  I told him that I thought that was realistic since I had only been with the company for five months.

      “Have you seen this?” he asked as he slid the memo across the table to me.

      “No, I haven’t.”  I stated as I read the posting.

      “That’s probably because your RGM wants the job for herself. She didn’t post it as she had been instructed to do. The problem with that is that it is an entry-level position. We only have a certain amount of money budgeted for the salary. It would be a decrease in pay for her, but for you, it would be an increase. Isn’t this what you want to do?”

      “Yes,” I said. “This is exactly what I want to do.”

      I interviewed with he and Robert and I got the promotion.  Needless to say, it wasn’t a very good situation between the RGM and me when she found out that I was under consideration for the job and she wasn’t. 



[1] Paul D. Tieger and Barbara Barron-Tieger, Do What You Are (Little, Brown and Company, 1992)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling blessed

I was thinking about my perception of my past.  When I go to  Celebrate Recovery  and listen to other people's stories, I am sometimes reminded of things that I have been through in my life.  It is strange because sometimes it seems that they are things that I have forgotten about.  Memories come back and I realize how much God has been caring for me my whole life. Even when I wasn't walking as closely with Him as I am now, He was still there. It makes me think of the Footprints poem - I didn't know it, but He was carrying me! My first husband was not a very good person.  He had some good qualities.  He could be very generous, but only with certain people and only if he made the decision to be generous.  He expected me to put up with many inconveniences - even though we could have afforded better.  We lived for years in a mobile home that was in pretty rough shape.  We talked about buying a nice double-wide, but he didn't want to spend the money on the land or the hou
Happy Monday!  Not quite as cold today - but still fall-like. Left work early today to go to a Dr. appointment - now I have a little extra time to relax before heading to Celebrate Recovery tonight.  I will tell you more about this wonderful ministry some other time, but feel free to Google the name to learn more. My husband looked back at some pictures he took this summer when my sister and her husband were visiting.  My brother-in-law passed away a couple of week ago, after a battle with cancer.  DH cropped down this pic for me - I love it! Have a blessed night! Missy

August 1951...Roy's view

It was raining, but that wasn’t abnormal these days, August had been a very wet month, it seemed like it rained every day. Roy’s friend, Luther had driven to pick up his sister and her daughter and they would be stopping by any time now. Roy was glad that they were coming to visit. Over the past year, his thoughts had often turned to Ellen. He wanted an excuse to go back to Luther’s home so he could see Ellen and her sweet little daughter, Leah. Finally, he didn’t need any excuse, they were coming here! He heard a car pull up, but was disappointed to find it was just a customer pulling up for gas. His sister Peggy headed out to the pumps, but Roy stopped her. “I’ll get it,” he said, “You don’t need to go out there and get soaked.” As the day wore on, he began to think that they weren’t going to show up. “Maybe it would be tomorrow,” he thought. “You look like your waiting for someone, Roy, what’s going on?” his mother, Jane asked. “It’s just that Luther and his sister should be getting